8.26.2007

Is MopyFish a "free online virtual pet"?

Talking about "free online virtual pet", I remember that the first virtual pet I ever got on a computer was a golden fish. It was the "famous" MopyFish. On their website they say it's the most downloaded cyberpet in the world... well, I don't know if it's true, but the fact is I know it since almost 10 years now and it's still alive, in internet's world, it's quite a success...

MopyFish is great and really looks like a real golden fish swimming in your screen... and reacting when you knock on the window of its aquarium...er...when you click on your mouse!

But the question is: "Is MopyFish really a "free online virtual pet"?"... Well, actually it's not... because though MopyFish is free and virtual... it's not really "online". It acts as a screensaver, it's a piece of software that you have to download and that will then replace your current screensaver. There are different objects that you can buy (with points as it's free) to improve its life and its aquarium, but the problem is... you'll earn points each time you'll print 20 times a same document!... The first I got was at work (I remember we named it Urby because our manager was Urbain!) so, that wasn't that hard to get points, but here at home... I'm afraid my new MopyFish will have to wait long before he got new toys!

Anyway, Urby was kind of my first experience in raising a free "almost online" virtual pet, and so I had to have a word about him... Farewell, Urby whatever you might be now...

No comments: